Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German arrangement in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon implemented and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so performed the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a community well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also an issue and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the young families after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and pet animal care. Soon after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the conflict ended people were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Along with the depression effecting read more every person in town, the community needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal give, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph had a inhabitants of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic military to the warfare. The community continued to be strong and continued to improve the Village, adding a water tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its normal water supply, and continues to do so.